National Scenic River
Illinois Nature Preserves
Vermilion Co. Conservation Foundation
Historic preservation and interpretation is a major commitment of the Vermilion County Conservation District, especially at Kennekuk County Park, location of the "Collins Site", site of an old Native American village and burial mound.
- Collins Site - named to the Illinois Historic Register; located on the flood plain of the Middle Fork River.
- Bunker Hill Historic Area - located at Kennekuk County Park; consists of Vermilion Chapel (1886, original site) , Red Oak School (circa 1917, then rebuilt due to fire, relocated), Neff Store (1912, relocated), Atwood Home (1892, relocated) Mack and Son Agency Barber Shop Dry-Cleaning and Laundry (Oakwood Barber Shop 1901, relocated), Laury Barn (Meyersville Mill 1843, then Laury Barn 1912, relocated and replacement timber 60% used in 2001 reconstruction), Bismarck Train Depot (1874, relocated), O'Leary's Dining Car (1947, relocated), Herb Garden Herb House (late 1800's, relocated). Print Shop (2008); reproduction of a print shop that utililizes materials from the former Douglas School in Danville. The Bunker Hill Historic Area Commemorative Brochure and Walking Tour Guide is available for $3.00 at the Kennekuk Visitor's Center.
- Pioneer Homestead - located at Forest Glen Preserve; reproduction of log home and barn; kitchen herb garden.
Moving the O'Leary's Dining Car